Tuesday, June 11, 2013

THE CHASE - SILVANA H.

The Chase

Silvana H.
14/5/13

   I woke up slowly, not remembering were I was. While looking at the forest, I started recalling the events from the past week. I remembered the orcs saying, “We’ll kill you Elena!”

   I’ve been running from them for the past week. I’m exhausted, but if I stop… I’m dead. Looking at the trees, I noticed that fall was starting. That means it should be around, September.

   I should go search for some food. I’m running low on it, since I already ate everything I managed to steal from the orcs. I went into the dense forest, leaving behind the small clearing I was camping in, hidden by the thick shrubs. I walked silently yearning to find some game. I reached the point were I had set my snares. Surprisingly, they had caught two rabbits and one wild turkey. I took the game and quickly hurried back to the clearing.

   A shallow stream passed through the clearing. I decided to skin and clean the game there. I also made a small fire. While roasting the wild turkey, I hear a loud THUMP! Afterwards, I hear a few more. After some seconds I realized they were footsteps, and I could only imagine whom they belong to… the orcs.

   In the little amount of time I had, I packed everything I managed to. There was no time to put the fire out. I just hoped it wouldn’t cause a forest fire. Finally, I gathered the last of my belongings.

   I looked up and saw them emerge from the woods. Their eyes met mine and instantly filled with rage. That’s when I realized I was frozen. I’ve never been this scared since my parents abandoned me eight year ago.

   It wasn’t until the orcs were less than ten feet that I snapped out of my shock. I turned on my heel and ran as fast as my legs could carry me.

   I looked back and saw the orcs were coming closer and closer. The hatred reflected in their eyes got me distracted and I tripped.

    My fingers went numb and almost instantly I knew I had broken something in my right arm. I tried to move my arm, but I couldn’t bare with the pain. Dots started covering my vision and slowly everything stared going black. The next thing I know is consciousness is slipping away from me and I black out.

  “We should just kill her already!” one of the impatient orcs says. The others nod in agreement.

   The leader booms “No! I want to make sure she repents”

   My eyes flutter open and I can’t move. I notice the ropes that are tying me. I fight with the ropes to make me free.

   “It’s useless, sweetheart,” someone says once they all notice I’m awake.

   I look up and see a very unpleasant sight: the leader of the orcs smirking at me. The victory showed in his face repulses me.

   “Go rot in hell!” I spit.

   He punches me and I feel my mouth fill with the taste of blood. I spit it and smirk at him to leave the message clear: I’m not defeated and I will never be.

  He grabs his sword and I know what his about to do. Yet, my eyes dare him to do it.

   Suddenly, a blinding light fills the forest and makes the orcs disintegrate into gold dust. I search for the source of the light with my eyes. Whatever it is, will it kill me too? After a while, I spot it hidden behind some bushes. I couldn’t believe my eyes, it’s a unicorn! And it just saved me…

8 comments: